Thursday 28 August 2014

Multicultural girl

Finnish girl, living in Germany, listening to Korean pop while reading American book in English. Yes, that's me. 

From this thought, I decided to write a post where I tell about the differences of Finland and Germany. Even though I haven't been here for so long, I have come to meet some big and some small differences between the daily life in these two countries. 

First of all I want to write about food (this was one of the things that concerned me the most before I got here.) In Finland we eat about five times a day: breakfast, lunch, "day snack", dinner and "evening snack." I know it sounds a lot but we don't eat so much at a time. Here it's normal to eat three times a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner/"evening bread". Of course it depends on the family too but this is the norm. 

In Finland we have free lunch in school everyday. It always doesn't taste so good and sometimes it's really weird looking but during these two weeks that I have been in school here, I have started to miss it. Not so that I would have hunger or something here, no. But every night I have to make some breads or slice some vegetables or fruits, and the lunch box takes awfully lot space in my bag. In our school there's a cafe where you can buy "hamburgers", chocolate or chicken nuggets etc. and it's luckily it's not that expensive. We can also visit the near supermarket or bakery or ice cafe when we have free periods. 

In my host-family we eat usually in the evenings between 6 and 8. My host-sisters and host-mother are all vegetarians so we don't eat that much meat. This doesn't bother me though, and the foods are so delicious I always hope that I would be able to stuff even more food in my tummy. 

Secondly the drinks. Back in Finland I drank a lot of milk but only fat free milk. Here in Germany we haven't been able to, at least yet, find milk without fat and I don't like the taste of the milk with fat so I drink water. But even that is different. While in Finland everyone drinks the tap water, and to be very honest, it really tastes good, here everyone drinks bottle water. Water with gas, water with few amount of gas and water without gas. Or if they don't drink water they drink different sodas or juices. 

Then back to school. In Finland the high school system is based on courses. You have to pass at least 75 of them to be able to graduate from the school. When we have the courses, we have lot of different subjects to choose and we have the possibility to choose not to go to school everyday at 8 o'clock. So with that being said, I usually have only two mornings at 8 and the three others at 9 or 10. The longest day is from eight to four but it's normal that school day ends at two or three or sometimes even at 12. 

Here school begins at 8 every morning and usually, I guess, you have two or three days to four or five and then two days to two or three. Right now I have two days to five one to four and two to two (xD). The subjects are quite similar here and in Finland. 

I'll leave at that today. I might do this kind of a post again since there isn't really much going on now that the school started and all, so. And if there is something you want me to write about, please leave a comment. :)

Tschüs!

No comments:

Post a Comment